Call for Artists
Beyond, behind and before Christmas
A call for artists, musicians and performers for a Slack Space exhibition 17 Dec – 3 Jan and associated mini festival 17 – 19 Dec
Christmas time and the High Street is a cacophony of crass consumerism, a cornucopia of worn out images and sterile selling, a festival that has forgotten its roots, lost in the mists of time and midwinter – a winter that must be survived and blood on the snow.
Whatever you believe, Slack Space is putting out a call for work across all art forms which offers an alternative interpretation to the Christmas experience. In particular, we are looking for:
- Work which subverts or looks at traditional Christmas iconography in a new way
- Work which challenges the consumerism of Christmas and the ‘Christmas industry’
- Work which explores the old rituals and festivals which predate the Christmas tradition including sacred items and images
- Work which explores the old or natural roots to modern ceremonies and symbols around the Christmas season
- Traditional music and dance predating the modern Christmas festival
- Music which subverts or deconstructs Christmas carols or other Christmas songs
- Work which looks at the midwinter season and its challenges
- Work which offers an alternative interpretation to the Christmas experience
Expressions of interest / examples of work should be submitted to colchesterslackers (at) googlemail.